The United Nations Development Programme- UNDP works in nearly 170 countries and territories, helping to achieve the eradication of poverty, and the reduction of inequalities and exclusion. We help countries to develop policies, leadership skills, partnering abilities, institutional capabilities and build resilience in order to sustain development results.
We are recruiting for the following positions:
- Project Administrative Assistant
- Chief Technical Adviser
- Organization: UNDP – United Nations Development Programme
- Location: Abuja (Nigeria)
- Grade: SB-5 (SC10/SC11), Service Contract, Local Contractors Agreement – Mid level
- Occupational Groups:
- Operations and Administrations
- Managerial positions
- Closing Date: 2018-12-14
- The International Trade Centre (ITC) is a joint agency of the United Nations and the World Trade Organization, focusing in particular on developing the export capabilities of small and medium-sized businesses in developing and transition economies. ITC is 100% “Aid for Trade”, supporting trade that delivers inclusive and sustainable development results. ITC’s mandate covers all developing countries and transition economies with special emphasis on the Least Developed Countries (LDCs), Landlocked Developing Countries (LLDCs), Small Island Developing States (SIDs) Fragile States and Sub-Saharan Africa. ITC Headquarters is located in Geneva, Switzerland. ITC projects and programmes contribute to the global efforts to achieve UN Global Goals for Sustainable Development and the Aid for Trade agenda. ITC works at three levels:
- Strengthening the integration of the business sector of developing countries and economies in transition into the global economy,
- Improving the performance of trade and investment support institutions for the benefit of small and medium size enterprises (SMEs), and enhancing the abilities of trade support institutions to better support them,
- Improving the international competitiveness of SMEs.
- Output 1.3: Regional level – Better regional linkages among selected value chain actors promoted and key regional intermediary organizations supported.
- Output 2.2: Regional level – Regional policy and framework to improve industrial competitiveness are harmonized, formulated and monitored.
- Improve the performance, growth and contribution to industry, regional trade and exports of selected value chains.
- Improve the climate for business at national and regional levels.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Efficient and coordinated implementation of project activities with maximum regional ownership
- Leads the delivery of project activities and identifies modalities and partnerships required to achieve project targets.
- Provides support and quality inputs into risk management, monitoring and evaluation systems for the project
- Ensures integration and cooperation with other agencies implementing (WESCOMP) in West Africa; coordinates and monitors joint activities with other partners.
- Ensures efficient information flow between project stakeholders
- Timely selection of beneficiaries for various project activities
- Timely reporting to the ITC Headquarters in Geneva
- Coordinate project activities and events, ensuring coherence and synergies during project implementation;
- Manage relationships with counterparts and ensure ownership of project initiatives by the different stakeholders and beneficiaries in the region;
- Maintain regular communication with other initiatives and agencies on the ground, ensure good information sharing; liaise with the ECOWAS Commission, relevant government departments, ministries and private sector institutions to obtain support for project implementation at the regional level;
- Provide input for project progress reports;
- Provide coordination support to project expert missions, donor missions and evaluators;
- Together with the Project Manager Organize project steering committee meetings, prepare meeting agendas and other documents required for the review of the committee;
- Ensure project visibility, efficient communication and outreach at the regional level and at national levels, including representation of the project at regional events, ensuring communication with the press where required;
- Identify risks to project implementation and propose mitigation actions;
- Keep abreast with developments in the region and identify synergies and opportunities with other projects and initiatives;
- Together with the Project Manager, guide other project staff in performing relevant duties.
- Identify new opportunities and work areas for the project across priority value chains and related to skills development;
- Review and assess proposals submitted by project partners in view of relevance and effectiveness for the project;
- Provide ongoing advisory on the ground to complement technical assistance/ training provided by ITC experts during technical missions;
- Identify linkages and ensure synergies across project activities and implementing partners;
- In close collaboration with local counterparts, the project manager and ITC technical experts, provide technical inputs and advice for the development of work plans;
- Participate in technical working groups created and supported by the project;
- Undertake any other tasks assigned by the Project Manager in support of efficient implementation of the project.
- Achievement of delivery targets and results as outlined in the project work plans
- Effective regional capacity building of regional stakeholders and beneficiaries by the project
- Strengthened partnerships with regional stakeholders and expanded partnership with relevant government agencies and private sectors
- Good communication and positive image of the project in the ECOWAS region
- Respect for Diversity
- Planning & Organizing,
- Client Orientation,
- Commitment to continuous learning,
- Technological awareness.
- Empowering Others,
- Managing Performance,
- Building Trust, and
- Judgment/Decision making.
- Proven excellent project management and coordination skills
- Ability to coordinate a team of experts
- Excellent interpersonal and advocacy skills and ability to establish and maintain effective partnerships in a multicultural, multi-ethnic environment and respects diversity
- Proven ability to lead and work collaboratively in teams, with colleagues and encourage sharing of knowledge to achieve organizational goals
- Strong problem solving and analytical skills
- Ability to identify priority activities and assignments; adjust priorities as required
- Ability to work with accuracy under time constraints and pressure in a stressful environment; with patience, tactfulness, maintain confidentiality, take initiative and exercise good judgment
- Ability to plan own work and use time efficiently, manage conflicting priorities and work under pressure of tight and conflicting deadlines
- Demonstrated knowledge of challenges to value chains and private sector development in the ECOWAS region
- Very good understanding of public and private skills development institutions and trade support institutions in the ECOWAS region and their mandates
- Good understanding of the private sector needs and expectations in the ECOWAS region
- Extensive experience in working with government and private sector counterparts
- Extensive experience in implementation of large development programmes
- Very good result-based management skills
- Excellent drafting and communication skills
- Computer literacy
- Work experience at both the regional and the intergovernmental level is required. This experience should involve project management and support to programme management, fundraising, research and drafting of reports, design and coordination of technical assistance and capacity building projects, representation at international fora, and organization and implementation of training workshops for governments and other stakeholder groups.
- Skills of quantitative and policy analysis is desirable.
REQUIRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Master Degree or equivalent in international trade, Business Administration, Development Studies or related field;
- With Minimum of 5 years experience in the field of technical assistance;
- Including some experience in project management, administration or related field
- A Bachelor’s degree in international trade, Business Administration, Development Studies or related field
- With 7years experience in the field of technical assistance
- Including some experience in project management, administration or related field
- Advanced English with excellent written and oral communication skills is essential;
- Knowledge of local languages is a plus;
- Required knowledge and skills;
- Demonstrated knowledge of challenges to trade development in the ECOWAS region;
- Very good understanding of public institutions in the ECOWAS region and their mandates as well as of private sector needs and expectations;
- Very good understanding of project result-based management and coordination;
- Proven leadership, advocacy and management skills and ability to operate in multi-stakeholder contexts;
- A track-record of successfully implementing projects;
- Excellent drafting and communication skills;
- Desirable knowledge and skills;
- Knowledge of the UN system and procedures and/or experience of EU-related projects would be an asset.
Important applicant information
All posts in the SC categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.
HOW TO APPLY
Interested and qualified applicants should CLICK HERE TO APPLY ONLINE