African Development Bank Group (AfDB) – Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 80 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries). The Bank’s development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Senior Country Risk Officer
Location: Côte d’Ivoire
Position N°: 50097591
- The President, plans, supervises and manages the business of the Bank Group. Under the direction of the Boards of Directors, the President conducts the business of the Bank and the African Development Fund and manages operations and activities in accordance with the Agreements establishing the ADB and the ADF.
- The President supervises several Departments and Units including Office of the President (PRST0); Independent Development Evaluation Department (BDEV); Integrity and Anti-Corruption Department (PIAC); Compliance Review and Mediation Unit (BCRM); Secretariat to the Sanctions Appeals Board (BSAB); Administrative Tribunal (BATR); Office of the Auditor General (PAGL); Group Risk Management Directorate (PGRF); General Counsel and Legal Services Department (PGCL); Communication and External Relations Department (PCER); Staff Integrity and Ethics Office (PETH) and Office of the Secretary General & General Secretariat(PSEG).
The Hiring Department:
- The Risk Management Department (PGRF) develops policies and guidelines, methodologies and systems relating to credit risk assessment, market risk and operational risk, and as well as ensures internal consistency of all of the Bank’s risk management policies and guidelines, including those initiated and developed by other departments.
- The department main mandate is to safeguard the Bank’s financial integrity, consolidate all core-risk management activities of the Bank in order to exercise comprehensive oversight over the Bank’s risk exposure.
- In delivering its mission, PGRF focuses largely on promoting the Bank Group’s strategic goals within a defined risk tolerance framework.
- The Senior Country Risk Officer will monitor credit risk of the sovereign portfolio, analyze the evolution of the Bank’s risk profile and its risk bearing capacity, provide advice with respect to the lending headroom, and ensure that country risk ratings are up-to-date.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the supervision and guidance of the Division’s Manager, the Senior Country Risk Officer will:
- Participate in the annual country risk review, its regular updates and prepare country risk reports.
- Assess and monitor country credit risk of the Bank’s Regional Members Countries (RMCs), and update associated Bank’s lending commitments and exposure limits.
- Monitor compliance with the Bank’s country exposures limits as well as lending programs used in country profile notes and strategy papers.
- Prepare the Bank’s capital adequacy reports and undertake necessary data management and reconciliation.
- Develop, review and improve credit risk methodologies, process and systems for assessing and managing sovereign risk and capital adequacy.
- Collect relevant credit related information from economic intelligence sources and publications, prepare internal credit assessments and present credit risk recommendations and ratings.
- Undertake data management and analytical work required to prepare the quarterly sovereign credit risk review, and the quarterly capital adequacy report.
- Undertake missions with other teams to prepare special country risk reports of individual RMCs.
- Maintain the division’s risk database; ensure its integrity and accuracy, and periodic updates.
- Maintain a close relationship with internal and external stakeholders, e.g. Bretton Woods Institutions, to review the Bank Group’s credit management policies and guidelines.
Including desirable skills, knowledge and experience:
- Holds at least a Master’s degree or equivalent in Economics, Finance, Risk Management, and International Banking and/or Economics.
- A minimum of five (5) years of relevant experience in credit risk analysis and/or financial management.
- Knowledge of sovereign risk analysis, and debt relief mechanisms in emerging markets.
- Knowledge of credit risk management techniques, derivatives, capital adequacy standards and structured credit instruments.
- Clear understanding of the Bank’s development mission, products, and credit risk policies.
- Excellent organizational, analytical and problem-solving skills. High-level proficiency of data management and quantitative analysis/modeling.
- Problem solving: Apply business knowledge to the resolution of problems and identify solutions to the benefit of the division and the organization.
- Communication: Provide clear and concise oral and written communication; present oral information with clarity and appropriate style and adapts language and style to suit the requirements of a particular audience.
- Operational effectiveness: Ensure that full use is made of the systems, procedures and culture within the organization in order to deliver the required results.
- Innovation & Creativity: Search for and produce innovative and creative approaches to activities in order to enhance performance and create added benefits to the Bank and its clients.
- Teamwork & Relationships: Work with others to maximize the effectiveness of the team as a whole, sharing the knowledge and workload. Develop strong working relationships with colleagues and contribute to creation of a positive team environment
- Ability to communicate effectively (written and oral) in English or French preferably with a working knowledge of the other.
- Competence in the use of standard MS office applications (Word, Excel, Access, and PowerPoint) and SAP.
Application Closing Date
23rd May, 2019.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Note: This position is classified international status and attracts international terms and conditions of employment.