International Medical Corps is a global, humanitarian, nonprofit organization dedicated to saving lives and relieving suffering through health care training and relief and development programs. Established in 1984 by volunteer doctors and Nurses, International Medical Corps is a private, voluntary, nonpolitical, nonsectarian organization. Its mission is to improve the quality of life through health interventions and related activities that build local capacity in underserved communities worldwide. By offering training and health care to local populations and medical assistance to people at highest risk, and with the flexibility to respond rapidly to emergency situations, International Medical Corps rehabilitates devastated health care systems and helps bring them back to self-reliance.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Consultant – EASE
Job ID: 19-083
Department: International Programs
Background to the Assignment
- International Medical Corps (IMC) has received funding from the Government of Netherlands to sustain and scale-up gender-based violence (GBV) prevention and response interventions services across four (4) LGAs of Borno state in North East Nigeria.
- In conjunction with the Dutch funded project, International Medical Corps is implementing emergency GBV prevention and response interventions in Damboa and Maiduguri LGAs of Borno State funded by USAID/OFDA. In order to ensure effective delivery of the GBV program and enhance aid effectiveness in the GBV sector, IMC works in close coordination and collaboration with the State Ministry of Women Affairs and Social Development, Gender-Based Violence Sub-Sector and relevant partners.
- A key component under this project is the improvement of the economic and social empowerment of women using International Rescue Committee’s Economic and Social Empowerment (EASE) model. To prepare the project team for the roll-out of the Economic and Social Empowerment (EASE) model, IMC will organize an assessment and conduct necessary trainings facilitated jointly by IMC staff and an external consultant.
Purpose of the Assignment:
- To conduct an assessment of target communities and beneficiaries to further inform the program as well as train and support selected IMC staff and volunteers on the implementation of the Economic and Social Empowerment (EASE) model.
- The consultant will adopt the IRC EASE curriculum as appropriate to the context, in coordination with IMC’s GBV technical advisor, the Food Security and Livelihoods Advisor and GBV Coordinator.
Scope of the Assignment:
- In close collaboration with the IMC’s GBV Technical Advisor for Nigeria, the Food Security and Livelihoods Advisor and the Nigeria GBV team, the consultant will:
- Develop a work plan detailing the entire consultancy exercise.
- Develop an assessment plan to inform adaptations and rollout of EASE.
- Lead an assessment in project communities to inform EASE programming. This will include evaluating women’s access to financial services, sources of incomes and identification of partners currently implementing similar programming for potential synergies.
- Prepare an adapted curriculum for the training of selected IMC staff and community volunteers on the Economic Social and Empowerment (EASE) model.
- Develop draft systems including record keeping for operationalizing EASE by Women’s Groups.
- Draft monitoring and data management tools for review and finalization with the Nigeria team.
- Facilitate training for selected IMC GBV staff on the EASEE model comprising of: 1) village loan savings association (VSLA); 2) discussion group series (DGS); and, 3) business skills.
- Submit a workplan for consultancy: After first meeting with GBV Coordinator
- Draft an assessment plan and tools: After first meeting with GBV Coordinator
- Finalize assessment plan, incorporating feedback: Within two days of receiving feedback
- Lead assessment in target areas: Beginning day 5 of the consultancy
- Produce a brief assessment report with findings and recommendations for adapting/implementing the EA$E model: Within three days of completing assessment
- Draft monitoring and data management tools: By 10 day of the consultancy
- Finalize monitoring and data management tools: Within two days of receiving feedback
- Draft a training curriculum for program targets, incorporating use of monitoring tools: By day 15 of the consultancy
- Finalize training plans, incorporating feedback: Within two days of receiving feedback
- Deliver trainings for all targets 30 days training: VSLA (7 days, DGS-7 days, Business skills-14)
- Draft a final report, summarizing the assessment and training, and outlining recommendations for EA$E implementation in Borno – State, Nigeria: Within four days of completing trainings and other activities
- Submit a final report after incorporating the feedback from the IMC GBV country team and the TU GBV Advisor: Within three days of receiving feedback on draft report.
Code of Conduct:
- All Consultants are required to adhered to and promote International Medical Corps shared responsibility and obligation to report matters involving Sexual Exploitation & Abuse, Trafficking in Persons, Child Safeguarding and any suggested violation to our Code of Conduct which may involve Conflicts of Interest, Fraud, Corruption or Harassment. If you see, hear or are aware of any suggested activities then you have an obligation to report to International Medical Corps.
- Degree in Development, Business Administration, Social Science, Economics or related field
- Experience in implementing and facilitating EASE and other economic empowerment approaches
- Experience leading community assessments
- Minimum of 5 years relevant experience
- Experience working in GBV programs in rural/conflict settings
- Extensive training and mentoring skills
- Familiarity with savings and credit schemes, business administration and/or livelihoods programming
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Belief in, and understanding of gender equality, women’s rights and empowerment
- Willingness to travel to field sites frequently
- Excellent English communication and writing skills and ability to work as part of a team.
Application Closing Date
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online